Monday, February 22, 2010

Chapter 5... we get to know Edward a little more.

Chapter 5... we get to know Edward and see that maybe he's not such a bad guy. He has goals in life and just enjoys having fun. Still an asshole but now one with a dream.

Chapter 5

Edward POV

I guess before I go any further with this story I should tell you about myself, so here goes. My name is Edward Anthony Masen Junior, I sound important don't I. Well I'm not. I'm an average guy. I work construction, have since I graduated high school. I was born in Forks, Washington population 2,676 people. My father Edward Senior is the police chief and my mother Elizabeth is a substitute teacher. Still married all these years, shouldn't be but they are. When I was growing up they fought like cats and dogs. I don't remember a night I didn't fall asleep listening to them bickering at one another.

I left home after graduation and haven't been back since. I always thought I belonged in a bigger city. My father wanted me to stay but I wanted to see the world before I picked a place. I left home on my 1986 Harley and never looked back. I traveled for about two years until my inheritance from my grandfather was gone and made my way back towards Forks. I couldn't bring myself to go back, to face my father and for him to know that I had failed. I still can't.

I settled in Seattle and took a job working construction for an old friends dad. Alice and her family moved away from forks our junior year. I work for Brandon Construction, I worked my way up to foreman and enjoy my job. My boss is a jerk, he treats his workers like garbage and really has no business running his own company. I would love to run my own construction company. It's something I'm working at but it's really hard to get started in this business without knowing the right people or having the right kind of money.

I don't have a steady relationship and I'm not looking for one. I don't plan on marrying either. You would think that since my parents have been together all this time I'd have this happy feeling about marriage but I just don't. I don't want someone to tell me what to do or to have to worry about taking care of someone else. I enjoy my independence and choose to keep it that way.

I frequently enjoy the company of the opposite sex. Oh hell who am I kidding? I'm a womanizer, plain and simple. I like to sleep around. I get bored easily in the sex department and like to spice it up by finding someone new. I'm not secretive about it and I'm not ashamed of it either. I'm a guy and I like to brag about my conquests to just about anyone who will listen. In the construction business which is mainly men it's not hard to find someone wanting a good story.

It's been two weeks since Emmett's wedding. Two weeks and I've told no one about my encounters with Bella. She is the only woman I've ever kept to myself. I don't know why but I like it that way. Maybe because I was trying to get up the nerve to call her and I was too much of a chicken shit to do so. She was the first woman that had kept me on my toes, that had done the unexpected and I liked it, a lot. I had stared at the piece of hotel stationery and those three little words screamed at me to call her "Lets Fuck Again...-". A week ago I tucked the paper into my sock drawer after putting her number in my cell. What was I, a girl now, keeping little reminders of her? I hadn't even tried to call but I had thought about it several times. I was acting like a pussy so I decided to just not call. It was great, she was great; but I didn't need the hassle of a repeat. What if she was the clingy type?

It was Friday morning and I was at the site when my cell rang. Alice Hale. I met Alice in elementary school. I told her she was weird and she kicked me in the shins and we've been friends ever since. She moved away with her family just before junior year. We stayed in touch through email and when I settled in Seattle I hit her father up for a job. I wanted something quick and he was always hiring. She married Jasper 2 years ago. Luckily I was not obligated in any way to take part in that wedding. They got married on some remote island off the coast of Rio so I wasn't even able to attend. Jasper was a great guy, we weren't that close but he treated Alice well and that's all I cared about.

"Hello Alice." I answered the phone. "How are you today?"

"Hi Edward!" She answered hyper. Alice was always full of energy. "Not much just calling to see if we are still on to celebrate my birthday tonight?"

"Of course Alice unless you needed to cancel?" She was up to something.

"No. I was just wondering do you mind if we join Jasper to celebrate with our boss? He closed a big deal he's been working on and they are having dinner at Maximilien's." Alice answered.

"That's fine Alice, it's your birthday dinner. Are you sure you want to spend it with your boss though?" I asked wondering if that's really what she wanted.

"Yes Edward. Actually my boss and Jasper are really good friends, have been for years. They basically started Lion and Lamb together." Alice continued to surprise me.

"I had no idea. That's really cool Alice. I've never been to Maximilien's before." Pretty fancy restaurant for my taste, good thing the boss is picking up the check.

"Great! Thanks Edward you're the best! So I will pick you up beforehand, then we'll get Jasper at the office and head to the restaurant." She suggested. I knew she had something up her sleeve.

"I can drive myself Alice. I really don't mind." I answered back.

"Well I was thinking I would pick up something for you to wear. Pretty fancy place we're going to and I bet you haven't dry cleaned anything lately. Am I wrong?" Alice knew me too well. I was so not in the mood to play Ken Doll but for Alice's birthday dinner I would make an exception.

"No. But why didn't you just tell me that in the first place Alice?" I wasn't going to make this easy for you after all I knew what was coming.

"I know how you hate me dressing you. I figured if I showed up with clothes you'd have no choice." She answered. "I'm surprised you're not giving me grief over this."

"Well I figured it is for your birthday dinner and I'll be missing the real thing so I'll let you have your fun." I responded. "That being said. Don't go overkill. Just some black slacks and a black shirt will be fine." The truth was I had nothing to wear and she was a lifesaver, but I'd never tell her that.

"Wow you really are okay with this?" She asked surprised. I never played along.

"Yep. What time should I expect you?" I asked wondering how many hours I had till the torture began.

"I'll see you about five thirty. Dinner is at seven o'clock so that will give us plenty of time to get you ready and to grab Jasper on the way." She said cheerfully. She really was adorable.

"Alright Alice see you then. Bye Alice." I said mentally counting four hours till the little hurricane hit my house. Alice loved to shop and lived to dress people. She loved to make people look good and feel good about themselves.

"Goodbye Edward and thanks again." She hung up and it was time for me to get back to work.

The rest of the day went by like a flash. I checked on the three jobs we had going at that particular moment. Which wasn't my job but I did it anyway. I did some paperwork for some permits that needed updating and dropped them off downtown. I need to go talk to Mr. Brandon but I was putting it off as long as I could.

At four o'clock I drove to our main office to speak to my boss. I walked through the door and started to daydream about what I wanted for myself. I had been speaking to an associate in Portland about investing in my company. With his investment I would be close to being able to attempt my dream. I was going down to Portland next week to check on a job for Mr. Brandon and arranged to meet with Mr. Stanley while I was there. I wanted to ask him what he thought about my proposal in person and see if I was one step closer. That was the reason for missing Alice's birthday bash. I told her it was work and she totally understood. I stepped up to the receptionist and asked to see Mr. Brandon. I was sent right in and when I walked in the door he didn't look happy to see me.

"What do you want now Masen?" He asked as soon as I stepped through the door.

"Mr. Brandon I was hoping you could switch Tyler Crowley over to the uptown gym project so that it's covered while I'm in Portland." I asked timidly. Mr. Brandon hated being bothered with details like this but I needed to make sure he remembered I was going to Portland.

"Portland? What about Portland?" He asked angrily.

"I'm heading to Portland next Wednesday, to check on the new equipment we ordered. You wanted it checked in person to make sure that it was correct so that we had everything we needed to break ground on that new apartment site." I spoke slowly making sure he understood.

"Right. Of course, I was just making sure you knew why you were going." He responded sarcastically. Of course he remembered, not. He wouldn't remember to pull up his pants if he didn't trip on them.

"Of course sir. I'll leave Wednesday morning and be back Friday around lunchtime." I added. I needed Thursday to visit with Mr. Stanley. Checking on the equipment could be done on Wednesday, didn't take much at all. Really almost pointless but I wasn't about to tell him that.

"Right. Good. Tell Tyler Crowley to cover your site until you return. I expect you to finish the day Friday. No skipping out early. It's not a long trip so you should be fine." He ordered.

"No sir of course not." I turned to walk out.

"Masen, hope you get a chance to wish Alice a happy birthday. I know she'll miss you for the celebration." He added not really caring, looking down at his paperwork.

"Yes sir we are celebrating tonight." I answered back continuing out the door.

"Good. See you when you return. I expect the report from Portland on Friday before close of business." He said.

"Yes sir. You'll have it before I go back to site." I answered.

"Alright. Goodbye." He finished coldly. Looking down at his paperwork once again. No need to say goodbye. With Mr. Brandon less is more.

I hated my boss, he was so lucky to have what he had. He had no idea. He inherited the company from his father and had no physical experience at all. I thought that's what would make me different. I would be hands on, checking on things myself, making sure that they were done right the first time. I had been taking night classes to get my associates in business so that I was able to open my own business. But I was still struggling financially to make it happen. I hoped that my trip to Portland would bring good news and a step closer towards my goal.

Alice knew that I had professional disagreements with her father, but she didn't let that affect our friendship. I loved her for that. She knew her dad was the way he was. She made it a point to provide for herself enough to not rely on him anymore. She was nothing like her father. She encouraged my plans and supported me in whatever way she could. She had offered to invest, but I had a strict rule not to involve business with my personal life.

It was just about five o'clock so I decided to head home and grab a quick shower before the Alice invasion. I parked my company truck back in the lot and hopped into my '81 Blazer. I loved my truck. It was my baby. I spent hours rebuilding the engine and it ran like brand new now. It was a short drive to my apartment, I liked the convenience of being in the city. Everything was right there where you could find it. I lived in a modest apartment, one bedroom and one bathroom. I didn't spend much time there anyway. I spent the majority of my time at work or at the bike shop working on my Harley. That's where I spent my weekends mostly. I loved working on my bike, it allowed me to escape reality. It was almost in perfect condition again, pretty soon I'd be cruising around instead of working on it. I couldn't wait to get back behind the wheel of it and just ride. There's something so freeing about being on the back of a bike; I can't explain it, it's just something you have to experience on your own.

After getting out of the shower, I heard a knock at the door. With a towel around my waist, I opened the door and there was the pixie of my nightmares, complete with multiple shopping bags and an evil grin.

"Hi Edward." She said giving me a hug. How did someone so small squeeze so tight?

"Hi Alice." I answered, squeezing her just as hard.

"Ahhh Edward not so tight!" She screamed.

"Look who's talking Incredible Hale!" I teased.

"Whatever. Are you ready? We got work to do." She said with that evil little grin again.

"Do I have a choice?" I asked. Knowing exactly what to say to get a rise out of her.

"I thought you were okay with this, you jerk!" She exclaimed.

"I am Alice, but I never said anything about making it easy on you." I responded jokingly.

"Whatever! Here." She said handing me three bags. "Go start trying things on."

"What is all of this Alice? I said one outfit." I complained.

"I know what you said, but we have to have choices Edward. I can always take the rest of it back." She whined.

"Alright. Thank you Alice. You truly are the best." I answered sucking up just a little. Maybe she wouldn't make me try on everything.

"Get going. We only have an hour before we need to go and get Jasper." She said pushing me towards my bedroom.

"I'm going. Don't push pixie!" I yelled as I shut the door.

Six outfits and forty-five minutes later I stepped out in the last outfit. Black dress pants and a black button-up long sleeve shirt, just like I had requested mind you. Alice insisted I try on everything else first so I wouldn't be biased by trying on what I wanted. I pushed the sleeves up on the shirt and Alice just rolled her eyes at me. I shrugged my shoulders, what's so wrong with my sleeves up?

"Fabulous Edward. Are you sure you don't want to wear...." She said. I broke in not letting her finish.

"Nope this is perfect, just like I thought it would be." I answered smugly. I knew what looked good on me and I looked good in black.

"Fine. But you're keeping the rest. It all looked too good on you." She said pinching my cheeks.

"Ouch Alice! No pinching!" I screamed rubbing my cheeks where she had just assaulted me.

"Don't be such a baby. You look good with a little color in your cheeks, not so pale." She spat at me.

"Ok. Let's get out of here. It's after six thirty. Didn't you say we had to pick up Jasper?" I asked wanting to get out of there before she made me change again.

"We're fine. I told Jasper we were running a little late. He'll be in the lobby when we get there." She answered, sticking her tongue out at me.

"You're such a child." I said laughingly and then stuck out my own tongue at her. Alice and I were more like siblings then friends. We laughed and joked around with each other all the time.

"Alright Eduardo, let's go!" She said. "I'm starving!" She walked towards the door finally. I put on my jacket, discretely slipping Alice's gift into my pocket. It wasn't much but she would appreciate it. I grabbed my wallet and keys, shutting and locking the door behind me.

We went downstairs and the driver stepped out to let us into the Town Car. It felt weird to have someone open doors and drive you around when you weren't used to it. Alice rarely used her company car but there were three of us tonight and Alice drove a Porsche so it made more sense I guess. I could never get used to having someone drive me around, I enjoyed driving too much.

A short while later we arrived at Alice and Jasper's work. Alice called ahead to let Jasper know we were close so when we got there he was waiting just inside the lobby for us. He stepped out when we pulled up and Alice got out greeting him. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him sweetly on the lips. They got back in and we headed towards the restaurant.

"Edward." Jasper greeted me.

"Jasper." I responded back. Jasper and I were by no means enemies but we weren't close either.

"Glad you could make it tonight." He added. "Sorry for the change of plans."

"No problem, wouldn't miss celebrating with Alice in some way." I responded cheerfully noticing Alice's smile immediately. "Congrats on your deal going through by the way."

"Thank you. Alice really is too sweet, it was nothing." He answered winking at Alice.

"Well congrats anyways." I added.

We arrived at the restaurant moments later and I was all of a sudden glad I let Alice dress me. The restaurant was very fancy looking from the outside, I was almost scared to see what it looked like on the inside.

"It will be fine." Alice whispered in my ear before linking her arm to Jasper's.

As we stepped inside the first thing I noticed was the view. There was a huge panoramic window facing towards the waterfront. I hadn't even realized we were this close to the water. Where there wasn't a view from the window there were antique mirrors covering the walls making any seat have an incredible view. We stepped up to the coat check and were greeted by a beautiful girl. She smiled at me and I couldn't help but wink. She was a cute little redhead with green eyes and a nice figure underneath that modest black dress she was wearing. I reached inside my jacket pocket to grab Alice's gift before handing my jacket to the girl. I stepped away from the coat check and followed Alice and Jasper.

We walked toward our table. I noticed white lilies and a birthday cake on the table. Then I lifted my eyes and noticed what I thought was a dream. Bella standing by the table, she looked breath-taking. She was wearing a simple black dress that showed the curve of her hips and the lift of her breasts. I let my eyes wander down and noticed her shapely legs and then a pair of simple black heels. I lifted my head and our eyes locked, I couldn't help but smile. I thought about how stupid I was immediately, why hadn't I called her?

"Bella this is my best friend Edward." Alice said. "Edward this is Jasper's best friend Bella." Best friend wait? I thought it was his boss. I started to panic on the realization that Bella was both. Bella was none other than Bella Swan CEO of Lion and Lamb Lingerie. I knew the name because I worked on the crew that built her building. This was the same Bella, my Bella. Wait who am I kidding? She wasn't my Bella and as soon as she realized who I was exactly she'd want nothing to do with me. I was out of my league. Did I care that she'd want nothing to do with me? I was the one who choose not to call her. I didn't know what to think.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Bella." I responded, not knowing what else to say. I extended my hand toward hers.

"Likewise, Edward is it?" Bella replied as she placed her hand in mine. Did she not remember me? It had only been two weeks. Was she angry with me for not calling? I wanted to know what she was thinking, I was wishing that I could read minds. Her face gave nothing away, like she had no reaction whatsoever to me. Why was I letting her get to me? I could pretend not to know her if she was going to do the same. Two can play at this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment